How to Find Out How Much You Owe the IRS In Back Taxes

Understand the different ways you can find out how much you owe the IRS if you are unsure. Many people who haven't paid attention to IRS CP Letters, or have moved, may be unsure. The first step to find the right tax resolution is to know how much you owe before you can begin to resolve major tax problems.

If you fail to pay your taxes or comply with the IRS, you will get a bunch of CP Letters or notices in the mail reminding you of any IRS back taxes you owe and what your outstanding tax balance is. For those individuals who have fallen behind in their taxes, whether through moving or not caring, if you want to resolve your tax problems with the IRS it is best to first understand how much you do owe the IRS.

Finding out how much you owe can be done in a few ways:

1) You can show up at your local IRS office or you can give the IRS a call. You can use to find out where your closest IRS office is or just call the national 1-800 number which is 1-800-829-1040.

2) If you feel you owe at least $7500 dollars you can work with a tax resolution firm which can complete the inquiry for you as typically these firms are staffed with tax resolution experts who have years of experience requesting the status of taxpayer accounts.

3) You could also complete the request process yourself by requesting from the IRS a "Record of Account"and "Account Transcript." In this case, you will need form 4506T or the form to "Request for Tranof Tax Return." If you need information on your account older than 4 years, then Form 4506 is used for a more comprehensive snapshot of your IRS account and will cost you about $57 dollars per return.

Form 4506T will give you information in regards to:

-An Account Tranfor the last 3 years including the current year
-A Record of Account (liabilities vs payments and other adjustments).

Here is the Do-It-Yourself Information:

* Complete Form 4506-T
* Define whether it is for an individual (1040), partnership (1065), or business (940) on line six
* Mark 6C on the form for a "Record of Account"
* Sign, Date, and then send to the correct IRS address (find it on 2nd page of form)

*Make sure to follow the directions on the form and call the IRS or your tax professional if you have any questions.

Your code to embed this article on your website* :

*You are allowed to change only styles on the code of this iframe.


Add your Comment